Have you always dreamed of spending your retirement in the sun in a fabulous country? Then Chile is for you! We explain in the articles below why retire to Chile and how to get your retirement visa!


Life in Chile is very pleasant. If those who like to live in big cities will probably prefer to settle in Santiago, the capital, it is possible to settle in many places.

  • The coast is very popular for retirees in Chile. Many of them settle in Valparaíso or Viña del Mar, two large, dynamic and relatively safe cities. Smaller cities exist along the coast, which benefits from an oceanic climate.
  • To the north, Serena (another coastal city) is highly appreciated for its Mediterranean landscapes, its large beaches, and its mild temperatures.
  • In the South, the lake region is surely the best place to retire. It is possible to do a lot of hiking as there are many parks and national reserves to visit and a lot of mountains. However, it is a region with a rather cold climate where it rains very often.


Do you want to retire in Chile? You will need a retirement visa. This is one of the different types of temporary residence visas, and it allows you to live in Chile for one year.

You can get this visa no matter what your situation, just have enough money! This is the type of visa that requires the least number of documents and conditions and is the most commonly granted. All you need to prove that you have a source of recurring income and sufficient assets to support yourself and your family in Chile.

Chilean immigration accepts as proof pensions, the rent generated by your real estate properties, as well as the income generated by financial investments.

However, there is not a sufficient level to obtain this visa. The authorities will study your assets according to the region in which you wish to reside.

The documents to be submitted are:

  • A copy of your passport
  • A passport size passport photo
  • Proof of your current income, and the number of family members moving with you

You may need to submit additional documents such as:

  • Original or certified true copy of the marriage certificate
  • Original or certified true copy of your birth certificate and the birth certificates of your dependants

After obtaining your visa, you will have to register with the police and the civil registry office. After one year in Chile, you can apply for a permanent residence permit if you still meet the income requirements, have spent 180 days in Chile and have paid your taxes.